Fancy making a pizza from scratch faster than it would take to order it? This simple yogurt dough is your golden ticket. Requiring no yeast and no rising time, just a few minutes of rest, all you have to do is mix, knead and spread it out.
The first time my friend Anne, from Anne’s kitchen, introduced me to this technique I could not believe a 3 ingredients dough, needing no proofing, could be so light and crispy. I had to make it to believe it, and it has since become my go to recipe for last minute pizza cravings.
In order to make this meal come together even faster, I’ve favoured a cream base but still kept the lovely tomato flavours by adding some fresh ones on top. It creates a great base for all your favorite toppings, so feel free to add whatever meats, olives, veggies or cheeses you fancy.
Here’s the recipe:
- 100g (¾ cup + 1 tbsp) Flour
- 5 tbsp Greek Yogurt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1½ tbsp Heavy Cream
- ⅛ tsp Onion Salt
- 100g (a littles less than 1 cup) Mozzarella, grated
- 1 small Tomato, sliced
- ¼ tsp dried Oregano
- A gluck Olive Oil
- A few Basil leaves
- Preheat the oven on grill.
- With a spoon, mix all the dough ingredients until it starts to come together, then briefly knead with your hands, adding a few drops of water if necessary, until the dough forms a ball and there is no dry flour left. The dough should be quite sticky, so don’t overwork it. Let it rest for 10 minutes while you prepare the toppings.
- Preheat an ovenproof, non-stick, frying pan over medium heat. Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface, give it a good dusting of flour and carefully stretch the dough with the palm of your hands until you get a rough 20cm diametre circle.
- Add a gluck of oil to the hot pan and cautiously drop the dough in—by the time you have put all the toppings, you’ll have a nice crusty bottom. Drizzle the dough with the cream, leaving out a 2cm edge for the crust. Sprinkle with onion salt, evenly spread the cheese and top with the tomato slices. Sprinkle the oregano and finish with a good drizzle some olive oil.
- Put the pizza under the grill until the cheese is bubbly and the crust is crispy and golden. Scatter a few basil leaves and serve.