Happy new year everyone!
What better way to start the new year than with a good breakfast. Something a bit cheeky to prevent the January blues while filling you up with much needed vitamins, following the Christmas splurge.
Served with refreshing orange slices, a few tangy pomegranate pops and a dollop of yogurt, these french toasts are just what the doctor’s ordered and will fit nicely into that much dreaded January detox.
And it actually works best with slightly stale bread, so use it, you can thank me later.
-Orange supreme slices-
Step 1: Start by trimming the top and bottom of the orange off.
Step 2: Sit the fruit on one end and carefully cut the rind off in strips by following the curve of the fruit.
Step 3: Once the orange is peeled, lay it on one side and cut nice thick slices.
Mmmm, now I have another reason to wait for the weekend!
- 2 slices Panettone
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup Milk
- Pinch Cinnamon
- a Knob Butter
- 1 Orange
- a Dollop Yogurt
- Pomegranate seeds
- Maple syrup
- Heat a frying pan over a medium-high heat.
- In a bowl, whisk the milk, egg and cinnamon until well blended.
- Dip each slice of panettone into the egg mixture for a few seconds on each side, allowing bread to soak up some of the mixture.
- Add the butter to the hot pan and frying the french toast for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- In the meantime, peel and slice the orange with a knife. Start by trimming the top and bottom off. Sit the fruit on one end and carefully cut the rind off in strips by following the curve of the fruit. Once the orange is peeled, lay it on one side and cut nice thick slices. Keep aside.
- Plate the panettone french toast on a plate with the orange slices. Top with a dollop of yogurt, some pomegranate seeds and drizzle with maple syrup.
- Fresh panettone will fall apart quickly if left in the egg mixture for too long. Depending on the dryness of your bread be prepared to work quickly. Melting the butter in the pan before soaking the panettone might be necessary.